Saturday, July 3, 2010

How do you like your jewelry? RAW!

Like sushi raw?!? Ummm, not really. RAW = right angle weave in the hand made jewelry world. It's a bead weaving technique, a "stitch" that is used with really neat-o results. The first stitch I learned was peyote stitch and it is very easy...just your regular even-count peyote stitch. Then there'e odd-count, tubular, 2 drop, etc... and I'm sure there's more I don't know about yet. 
But back to right angle weave... my first experience with RAW was of course one of the harder items (so I've heard, but found it surprisingly easy) to do.  For some reason I have a weird tendency to run before I can walk when I try a new technique.  It's the puffy heart.  This puffy heart is a 3D design, it has front, back and sides, and is hollow in the middle...you could put smaller beads inside it before you sew it up tight, depending on what color you use in your design and the effect you want to present. I'm currently just creating them for support causes. The 2 shown here are pink for breast cancer and red for heart health.


Next there is the beadwoven elegant bracelet and earrings - raw with a cris-cross overlay...makes it look intricate and old-timey. I really like these.  And lastly we have the "chandelier" earrings. They are a dramatic 3" long from the top of the earwire to the bottom of the briolette.  There are so many patterns that can be made using raw, I'm learning all the time!


No comments: